Safe driving and riding practices from all road users will help reduce the number of fatalities and injuries on our nation’s highways. Keep the following tips in mind:
- Drive and ride alcohol and drug free.
- Observe all traffic laws.
- Obey the speed limit.
- Drive and ride defensively.
- Yield to motorcyclists, especially while turning at intersections.
- Avoid distractions that place motorcyclists and other road users at risk.
- Wear high-visibility personal protective gear and DOT-compliant motorcycle helmets. NHTSA data estimates that helmets saved 1,872 motorcyclists’ lives in 2017, and that 749 more lives could have been saved if all motorcyclists had worn their helmets. Learn how to identify a safe, DOT-compliant helmet at www.nhtsa.gov/motorcycle-safety/choose-right-motorcycle-helmet